Tea Thyme

Sit back and relax. Remember when you were a child and the living was easy. Where you didn't have to worry about bills, car payments, or the stock market crisis. Back when you ran outside at dusk and caught lightening bugs. Before political correctness took away cops and robbers, and cowboys and Indians.
You'll meet my family--or a reasonable facsimile thereof, some small town characters, and we'll even share some old fashioned herbal lore.
So, have a seat, get a cup of tea, and relax in that vanishing world--small town America.

Friday, August 8, 2008

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful

That's a line from a commercial from the 70's, I believe. A supermodel would be posing for pictures, look at the camera, and say "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"
However, after working in the beauty industry, I can attest that you should hate her not because she's beautiful, but because she has the extra 45 minutes to 1 hour that it takes to style her hair.
I have been blessed (or cursed) with hair that is straight as a stick. I couldn't hold a curl if I put it in a bucket. And it is baby fine, and limp to boot. So, in order to combat this problem, I asked a hairdresser friend of mine if she had any suggestions for a hair style that looked natural, and would give me some body.
Big mistake. The key word here was look natural. There are a myriad of steps to accomplish that tossled that everyone loves. First, a good shampoo and conditioner. Lather, rinse, repeat. Condition--and leave on for 5 minutes, rinse. Towel dry. Then come the styling products which are applied with the precision of a research chemist......1--a spray on sunscreen to protect the hair from damaging effects of the sun. 2--a product to give your hair shine 3--a volumizing cream, 4--a root lifting product which when sprayed at the scalp of the hair will poof your hair.
The next step is to dry......And please bear in mind that with baby fine hair, if too much product is used, the hair becomes weighed down, flat, and must be re-shampooed and the whole process starts all over again....
After drying the hair, a heat shield product is applied to protect the hair from damaging effects of a curling iron. Then, optomist that I am, I curl my hair--just a soft loose curl, again to impart some body to my hair. And then the finishing touch is to apply a soft wax to my hair. Rub this wax on your fingers, then take small bits of your hair and gently pull them away from your head, and drop them back down. This wax gives just a hint of tossle to those soft curls that I just finished putting in.
I checked the clock and the whole procedure takes 45 to 50 minutes. Breathing a sigh of relief, I walk out of the bathroom to see what my spouse thinks of such a natural and hip hairstyle on his middle aged wife.
"Looks like you just got out of bed" he says.....

No comments: